Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Labor Day Happenings

The blog needs some work. As it is now approximately 95 degrees outside, I decided to at least change the snowy background. I will get around to the wintry header at some other point (or just wait for the next winter), but changing the photos of TJ will have to wait for another day. He's a hard one to replace.

Summer continues to be busy beyond belief. I empathize with all those folks moving, remodeling, having babies, changing jobs, or any combination of the above. There are not enough hours in the day. I promise to post updates on our bathroom project soon, along with all the other summer experiments. However, I've had a few requests for some pregnancy updates, so we'll tackle those first.

We were fortunate to get away for the Labor Day weekend for a quick trip back to South Dakota. We left Friday after work and immediately added another hour to our drive with dinner in the Gustavus Arboretum, our favorite detour along the way. 



We watched the sunset for awhile, but then the riotous ground squirrels and brave new first-years became much more interesting subjects.

Adam and I both forgot to get a tan this year. Maybe next year.


On Saturday morning, I attended a lovely baby shower in Mitchell hosted by Adam's mom Janice and sister Sarah and held at their church's fellowship hall. It was a co-shower celebrating both me and my sister-in-law MiKayla, who is due just three weeks after us. As the men were not invited, my dad decided to wear his best free T-shirt and work on watering the lawn. Adam spent his morning moving rocks out at his grandparents' place with his dad and brother. I definitely got the sweet end of that deal.

32 weeks pregnant...8 short weeks to go!!
I still remember my Mitchell wedding shower from nearly seven years ago, and many of those ladies were in attendance at the baby shower. It was great to see everyone again, especially since it's such a fun crowd. The blue table is for me, the pink table is for MiKayla, the happy hosts and pregnant ladies are below.



Chilling out at the Johnson farm after the stress of gift-opening.


We had time to take in several quick games of Kubb. This Scandinavian crowd loved it! 



Pumpkins, tomatoes, peppers, and squash were in abundance, along with some very fleeting moonflowers.



Enjoy today's senior portrait.



The next day got off to a great start after Adam put his butt straight through my parent's ancient outdoor swing. It was probably for the best.


We tried to teach Cricket how to play frisbee, but then gave up and settled down for breakfast instead. Her retriever gene is not well expressed.




Back on the Johnson side, we checked out the color of this year's corn palace corn and then went for a walk through their prairie.




I typed "black and yellow spider" into Google to see what sort of beast was hanging out in the garden. Ironically, it is called a black and yellow garden spider. While I appreciate all that spiders do for the world, I can barely stand to even look at this photo. 
Do NOT try to conduct an image search. I had to have Adam close my browser window for me.
The sun was HOT and the light was BRIGHT. Otherwise, maybe this would have been an awesome photo.


Just one of many varieties of wildlife attracted to the plantings the Johnsons have created over the years.
(Although a quick scan through the game cam memory card certainly revealed a lot of human activity caught on tape!)

We brought TJ (well, his ashes) back to South Dakota. He absolutely loved running through the fields and just being free on the farm. We still miss him every hour of every day, even though we have so, so much to be thankful for. I wish he could have met our little one this fall, but he'll be there in spirit, always. He would have destroyed all the baby toys anyway.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a fun weekend and thanks for bringing TJ along with you !!! Great job on the pictures and story lines..we will be waiting for the phone call about baby boy Johnson.
Love Grandma/pa Johnson

Sarah Erickson said...

Hurrah! You're back! I was getting a little worried about you and missing your blog posts. But totally understand. :) Glad things are going well, if busy.

Sarah