Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chicago Walking Tour, Tourist Version

As mentioned, Adam and I took a quick trip to Chicago a few weekends ago. It was beautiful and wonderful and amazingly peaceful, very likely due to the intense police security presence and a city-wide spring-cleaning ahead of the NATO Summit, which coincided with our visit. (I think we got an airbrushed version of the city, but I'll take it!) 

Then we returned home and immediately threw ourselves into long-delayed home projects, yard work, actual work, barbecues, and bills. So the photos sat sadly on the camera for awhile, and by the time I uploaded the whole mess, I was "several hundred" photos deep. (I don't want to admit the real number, lest ye judge.) Anyway, I don't want to forget this trip, so I will probably post occasional Chicago updates when A) I have free time, or B) I am really bored, or C) I feel that the blog needs a break from Adam's culinary cocktail creations. If you just can't wait, you can scan the whole photo album here. It offers a nice context surrounding our visit, but you'll have to supply your own commentary. 

Day 1, Hour 1. I was so excited to see these iconic buildings that I dropped my suitcase in the middle of the sidewalk, held up all the people traffic, and took my first Chicago photo. Adam was visibly annoyed.

Ironically, not the Wilco Towers, but actually, Marina City.
After checking in to our hotel near the Magnificent Mile, we decided to take the longest, most indirect, super-touristy hike across downtown on our way to catch the sunset at Willis Tower. If you've ever been to Chicago, you've already seen these sights.

Untitled - and Unexplained - Picasso



I really can't recall whether this amazing bit of architecture was now Macy's or Marshall Field's (signs were misleading), but it was so interesting that I almost wanted to shop. Almost.




The Walnut Room. Alas, we were too late for dinner.

Adam and Rick Bayless, our second favorite PBS chef.
The next time we're in Chicago, we are definitely undertaking some sort of architecture tour. I couldn't stop gawking at the buildings, and Adam hurt his neck (seriously) from looking up at everything. Here's another show-stopper:


I just love how tiny this Subway is, especially next to Ulta.
The entire building is only three windows wide.


If you've noticed, there is a definite lack of people in the photographs. The streets were essentially deserted due to NATO. Downtown employees were encouraged to work from home, many attractions were closed to visitors, and several businesses locked up early, a few even boarded up doors and windows. Here is what we actually saw on our tourist walk: 




Many of those photos were from the Financial District, so security was obviously tight. So you don't get the wrong impression, we also saw an awful lot of Prius taxis and the occasional yarn bomb.

Go Chicago!
Up next...the western hemisphere's tallest building.

No comments: