Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Chicago Walking Tour, Protest Version



Adam and I took another meandering walk home from the Skydeck at Willis Tower, just admiring the architecture of the Chicago Public Library, when we ran into the "unofficial" protesters. (Apparently, most protesters pre-register their route.)


The energy is definitely contagious. It almost plants you to the ground, just waiting for the chaos to hit. (Here is where Adam and I usually disagree, as Adam prefers to hang back, safely, and I like to get just a little closer, just to see what happens.)

These protesters were generally calm, however, and far outnumbered by the security detail. I believe other protest marches had more action, but this one spread up and out rather peacefully.


Ironically, the only thing that really left an impression with me was how unbelievably tight this guy's jeans were.
I know fashion isn't really my thing, but I feel like I missed a decade somewhere.




I would say that this photo accurately sums up our Chicago protest movement.





Most major public buildings (and many private offices)
were guarded throughout the NATO Summit.

After the protests, we unexpectedly came across Millennium Park at night. I thought this was the most beautiful neon green water feature I had ever seen...


...until I realized that it also contained faces, which terrified me a little more than I had expected, although maybe it was because I came upon it at night and under heavy security. I'm sure it's much less creepy at noon on a summer Saturday. Still, I do not know what is going on here. They're very serious faces.



Cloud Gate, or the bean, however, was so much more impressive in person than even I had anticipated. I just kept walking in circles around this piece. I know it was ridiculously expensive to build, but it was definitely the coolest - and most accessible - piece of public art I've ever seen.

Bonus "Adventures in Babysitting" Building in the background!








Views along the Chicago River at night.



The Wrigley Building. I really loved this building, especially the connecting walkway. It seems so classic and modern at the same time. Plus, you will always know where you are, even if you're not sure where you're going.



No comments: