Monday, May 30, 2011

Stardate 201105.30 : A very beery day on planet Earth.

First let us start with the Furious Clone. I dry-hopped the carboy today. Dry hopping is a strange term that means adding hops after the primary fermentation has been completed. When you add hops during the boiling process, you are adding bitter hop flavors to the beer, but you lose a lot of oils. Dry hopping allows you to re-add aroma to the beer and reinsert all those oils. I placed all the hops into a muslin bag and squeezed it into the top of the carboy. The beer really started to bubble and created a nice green top layer. This beer is going to stink some kind of awesome in a week when I bottle.
An empty carboy awaits.....
......for T-can & Bearcat's Wheaten Beatdown. This beer tastes so strange. I brewed a week ago and decided to move it from my bucket to a carboy to free up my bucket and was able to sample a little. 1/2 of a wheat beer and 1/2 a pale ale; it's a little odd. I think it will taste great, but only a week old, it is hard to tell. Supposedly I will be able to bottle in a week, but will probably wait a little longer.
I had to free up my bottling bucket so that I could start my hard cider.

4 gallons of apple cider
3 cups of cane sugar
1 packet of dry wine yeast.

Four weeks in fermentation await.

Kyle Allen already has the jump on me as far as cider-makin' goes, but I feel confident in my meticulous sanitation rituals. Prepared to be pwned, Pierce. No Mr. Higley can save you.

No comments: