Thursday, May 12, 2011

Beer Me

That's right, I'm making beer now. Thanks to the guiding hand of Jeremy Hammond, I have dipped my toes into the world of homebrewing. I say dipped, because I am only rocking the extract kits for now. Jeremy has graduated into full-on crushing grains while I grab a jug of syrup. My first attempt turned out much better than anticipated.

It is an Autumn Amber Ale from Midwest Brewing. For those of you who remember my dalliances with Mr. Beer, I can assure that this beer tastes amazing and is nothing like that kit I had before. Every few days I open a new one and am shocked that it continues to develop more flavor. Jake, I know you tasted this beer before and it was nothing to shout about, but you will have another taste in just a few weeks. You just might fall over.

I started another batch in my trusty bucket on Saturday.
Oh yeah, it's Surly Furious.
Surly has given Northern Brewer their recipes so that they can build kits for losers like me. I don't expect it to taste as good as the original, but the amount of dry hops I will be adding in a week are a little shocking.
I am adding these into a carboy about a week before bottling. Hopefully I can have my first glass in about 5 weeks. I'm pretty excited.

No comments: