Thursday, December 10, 2009

Dear Ghostbusters and Dear Shaun White

Dear Shaun White,

Thanks for being a great game to play with the Wii balance board. Let's face it. There are few games that support the board and so it's great that you decided to show up. I have had you for over a year now and although there hasn't been much interest recently, I did play you in early November for old times sake. Your trick system was incredibly addictive, but I never did like grinding on those rails. It was cumbersome to get onto them and rather boring when finally I made it. I mean, all I have to do is stand there and not lean to get the points? The "trash" collection was also a weird task to advance the levels. Am I really supposed to believe that snowboarders attempt to pick up cans on the mountain? Where did these cans even come from? Maybe snowbladers are sneaking cans of Dew in their jackets in order to get more extreme? It was a strange choice. The half pipes were probably the best levels since you could do more jumps and perform more tricks in a shortened time period. And I also loved flying down the mountain and performing multiple tricks on the big jumps. That was awesome.


Dear Ghostbusters,

I was pleasantly surprised. Although your reviews were positive, I am still a little suspicious of games based on movies. You started out slow, but by the end I felt very satisfied. You really opened my eyes. The comedy was supposed to be one of the highlights, but honestly I enjoyed the proton pack more than anything. At your start, I had very limited functionality with the pack, but as different abilities were added, the game really picked up in quality. Having to determine which stream to fire and then quickly switching them for maximum damage just felt right. It is unfortunate that I didn't get the chance to try your co-op play since it would have changed some of the boss fights. The game also seemed a little short, but I'm OK with that. You helped me realize how good it feels when a game actually ends. A game that can go on forever like Boom Blox or Mario Kart can be more of a drain than anything. I saw everything in the story and now that it is over, I'm more than happy to send you to someone else.

We only spent a few short weeks together, but I won't forget you. Thanks for the fun. Now enjoy Mount Joy, PA.

No comments: