Friday, December 18, 2009

Beans, Beans, Beans

My coffee beans came from Sweet Marias. I received my 2 lb packages as expected and the sample pack had some interesting variety.

Guatemala Huehuetengo Finca La Maravilla
Costa Rica Helsar de Zarcero
Brazil Cerrado DP Fazenda Aurea
El Salvador Finca Matalapa
Sulawesi Tana Toraja Ke'pe
Columbia "Platos Fuertes de Huila" Microplot Mix
Ethiopia Cr 3 Dry Process Yirga Cheffe
India Organic Jasmine Estate Yellikudige

The hardest part comes from deciding what to roast first.
Look at the color and size differences between the Sumatra Takengon Classic on the left and the Ethiopia Gr 3 on the right. I can't wait to see what they look like after they are roasted.
On Wednesday evening we roasted some beans from Costa Rica, Columbia, and Brazil.
On Thursday, our house taste tester noted that she was "surprised that the Costa Rica tasted as good as it did" and that she "got a lot of work done that day". Friday's coffee , the Columbian, started well for her, but she ended up drinking too much and got a stomach ache. Everything in moderation people!
No coffee for TJ; no matter how sad you look.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

You look like a dealer.

Casey said...

Jason is always talking about roasting his own beans. He hasn't done it yet, but if I tell him about this blog post, I'm pretty sure that would be all the motivation he needed. I'm not sure if I'll tell him or not. :)