Sunday, April 14, 2013

Cure for a Snowy Saturday

My tulips and daffodils were just beginning to emerge when we got another series of consecutive snow/slush days. In fact, it's snowing right now as I write this. Had I known that winter was going to drag on this long, I would have booked a trip to Florida ages ago. Longest winter ever! And it's not even that winter was so terrible this year. We didn't have that much snow and it wasn't too cold. We've just had the longest, most tedious streak of gray skies, daily precipitation, and temps hovering stubbornly in the thirties. What I wouldn't give for one sunny, 70 degree day! I'll even settle for 50 degrees and some partly cloudy.


Anyway, we needed to get out of the house, so we had a Minneapolis vacation day, starting with the delicious buns at Isles Bun and Coffee. I only regret that I didn't take more free icing. It's not like I need to worry about swimsuit season anytime soon.


Next up: the Bakken Museum, which - as luck would have it - was Nano Day AND Free Super Science Second Saturday. This was really a neat little museum. Adam loved it because it was full of crazy little science experiments to try out (generally for the kiddos), and I loved it because the collection is housed in a cool, old, historical gem of a house right off Lake Calhoun. Win win! I would have loved to have seen the gardens, but see paragraph one. They looked mighty impressive even under a dense layer of snow, so maybe we'll stop by sometime when it's warmer, like September.


I know it has been a life-long dream of Adam's to play the theremin, so I was glad he finally got his chance. 



Brain wave relaxation game. The one with the most "relaxed" brain waves moves the ball farther to the opposite corner to win. I don't know how I pulled out a 2-0 victory over Adam, but I feel like it's not a good thing. 



Because you know you've always wanted to try this at home...


After the Bakken Museum, we had lunch at the Smack Shack (lobster roll for Adam, fried green tomato po' boy for Nicole), then hit up our second museum of the day. The Minneapolis Institute of Arts has an exhibition on Art in the Age of Truthiness that we had heard good things about. Once again, however, the meaning of art has confounded us. We lucked out in that we caught a travelling tour, so we picked up some behind-the-scenes knowledge. That helped immensely. The rest of the museum, as always, is awesome.

I think there is a lesson here.
Bonus Saturday adventure: on a whim, we bought tickets to War Horse. Yay! We're averaging one theater performance every 3-4 years, so we figured this was the one to catch. (And I let The Book of Mormon slip out of my grasp, not once, but twice, so we're definitely going to this one.)

No comments: