Monday, December 12, 2011

Spro

An awesome, extended weekend in Baltimore with good friends, Amelia, Basil, Alison was highlighted by a trip to Spro. This little coffee bar is located a few blocks away from the Safi home and they served me one of the best coffees I have ever tasted. Below is their weekly menu. I had a Piendamo and the Nigusie on the two days I visited. Each coffee is built and served in a method that brings out the best of the bean. 
 Here on a whiteboard in the back room are the remains of an interview test to hire a new employee. Sproployees need to know their stuff.

Coffee used in cold drinks never needs to be heated in the first place. The devices below add water to coffee grounds one drip at a time and collect the coffee in the pitcher at the bottom. It takes 12 hours to run a cycle of cold coffee.
 Most of our crew went with coffees that were brewed in with the pour-over method. It is similar to a drip machine, but with greater control of variables to create better coffee.
By slowing pouring water over the grounds in different waves, you allow the grounds to foam up and suck up the water before releasing it into the cup.
After one and a half years of a Spro location in Basil's neighborhood, I was able to take him along for his first trip. (It was my second.)
Baltimore and D.C. had tons and tons of fun adventures to offer, but I had to share my Spro trip first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, not sure the coffee tour would have been a highlight for me but as you know I'm not a coffee drinker. Now Dad would have loved it. Can't wait to see more. MOM B