Thursday, March 3, 2011

Supa Fantastic Ginny Gin Gin

I brought in a well-respected real estate lawyer to get his opinions on my latest gin infusion. We played "You Don't Know Jack" for an evening and consumed one of the mason jars.

"Despite its pedestrian pedigree, Cub Foods' own Heritage Gin drinks like "Hero"tage gin when baptized with melange of lime, lemon, cuke and basil. Its ease on the pocketbook is paralleled only by its drink-ability and refreshment -- a true 4-time winner in the You Don't Know Jack game of drinks. In short: buy it, mix it, drink it -- you'll be richer for the experience." - Robert Q. Williams
After some partying with the Hammonds the following weekend, I am left with 2 inches of gin. That's considered a success...........right?

Here are my thoughts:
  • I used really, really cheap gin. It was a 1.75 liter jug of Heritage brand from Cub Foods. This is some pretty rough stuff, but the flavors masked the quality of the gin. Next time I wouldn't choose the cheapest gin I could find, but something a little better.
  • The basil I used was from a package in the produce section of the grocery store and I don't think it was sweet enough. The lime and lemon rinds bitter up the gin while the basil and cucumber help to mellow and sweeten. On a second attempt I would try to use a sweeter basil, which will be easier in the summer when I can grow my own. I initially thought the basil would overpower the drink, but it didn't.
  • I would also add more cucumber slices. Tonic water is sweetened, bitter, carbonated water. The cucumber adds a nice subtle flavor to the mix and take away some of the extremes of the other flavors.
  • I would only let the gin infuse for about 3 days. I noticed after 2 days the lime rinds had lost a lot of their color and the basil was starting to look wilted. Flavors can transfer to the alcohol quickly. So when the infusion is ready, strain the gin, and then transfer it back into a jar. It will last a long time and doesn't go bad. I still have my some of my bloody mary vodka and black currant infusion.

Conclusion: If you like gin and tonics, you have no reason not to try this. It's easy, tasty, cheap, and Williams approved. What more could you ask for?

No comments: