Sunday, March 7, 2010

Dear Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Dear Silent Hill: Shattered Memories,

You are the first scary game that I have ever played and even though I was terrified throughout, I don't know know if I will ever play a game as thoughtful. I cycled between fear, confusion, frustration, and the guilt over the the inability to find a loved one. All which made me feel unsettled.

This genre is so different because in most games you play a someone superhuman, who can take down entire armies. In your game, I couldn't fight the monsters and my only defense was to run away. Even when I threw them off my back, I was weakened to the point of limping. That's a very humbling experience. And that it's that sense of vulnerability which makes you a great game. It's refreshing to have a game that cares so much for the story that it doesn't try to add worthless filler or actions in order to keep me interested.

This is one of the best games I have ever played and it completely changed the way I look at games.
Enjoy Cincinnati, OH.

No comments: