Saturday, May 23, 2009

Gardening, or Nicole's Summer Project with No Help from Adam Ever

A few weeks back, while Adam was away at a frisbee festival, Pickles and I decided to plant a little summer garden.  Adam has been strongly opposed to this idea for three reasons: first, we will be paying someone else to grow and deliver our summer veggies through a CSA (one small share in a local farm); second, he thinks he'll get roped into helping me dig, plant, weed, water, etc; and third, for good reason, he thinks that this will become another hobby that I will whole-heartedly throw myself into for a week or two, and then decide that I have much better things to do, like hang out on the Internet.

He may still be right, but we went ahead without him anyway.

For the third year in a row, I have not gotten around to planting anything in the flower bed behind our house, so it will become a mostly-sunny garden area again this year.  Maybe next year we will put in a small plot on the south side of the garage.  






I started the garden plot on May 3rd, and three weeks later, things are looking good!  Since we have such a small area, I didn't plant a large quantity of anything, but I did manage to sneak in quite a few varieties: summerlong lettuce mix, spinach, garden beans (which really took off once we had those 2 90+ degree days), carrots, and radishes - all from seed.  I also planted two sugar-snap pea plants from the Farmer's Market.  I'm going to add one or two tomato plants, a cucumber plant, and some peppers (all in containers - no more room at the inn), and then I think we'll be done.  




Delicious!  I'm off to thin the herd.  I didn't expect all the seeds to grow, but I feel like most of them did.  We should be able to start eating the radishes soon.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: